Monday 25 April 2016

Retired sailor, 81, served in the Royal Navy and as a firefighter but is now struggling to find work after discovering his state pension is not enough to live off

He served his country in the Royal Navy and saved lives as a firefighter before moving into a range of other jobs.
But Jack Smith has struggled to get back into employment at the age of 81 after discovering his state pension is not enough to live off.
He has visited his local job centre, 14 different employment agencies and sent off dozens of job applications, but no one has taken him on.
A desperate letter to his local newspaper about his predicament delivered a lifeline when a member of the public set up a crowdfunding page which has so far raised £545.
But he is still unable to find work and believes his lack of IT skills is counting against him.
‘I am still fit, healthy and active. I am looking for anything at all, anything I can turn my hand to,’ said the widower from Plymouth, Devon.
‘I am looking for anything I can handle. Obviously I cannot do the building trade like I did before, going up and down ladders. But I have got money problems and the only way I can solve it is to get work.’
Mr Smith, who retired when he was 71, admits his ‘serious financial problems’ are of his own making.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3552994/Retired-sailor-81-served-Royal-Navy-firefighter-struggling-work-discovering-state-pension-not-live-off.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment